ACADEMICS: iPad 1:1 Program
Updated August 5, 2019
PLEASE DOUBLE-CHECK YOUR CLASS SCHEDULE BEFORE ORDERING YOUR TEXTS!
Electronic textbooks will be made available for purchase through the EdTech website on August 14,2019.
(If you ordered before this date, please return to the EdTech website on August 14 to confirm you have purchased all of the required course materials)
Instructions for ordering are available HERE.
To log in, use your student e-mail address and sbhs2016 for the password.
Not seeing the correct texts on your strore? Please call EdTech at (855)338-3245 for direct assistance.
Click HERE to access the bookstore, after you have successfully completed the iPad setup steps below and double-checked your class schedule.
For the SBHS iPad 1:1 program, the administration and faculty have determined the following baseline "minimum hardware requirements" for the iPad program.
Please purchase (new, used or refurbished) an iPad for each of your students. The recommended base model is the 6th generation 9.7 inch iPad with 128GB of storage. Click HERE for more information.
If you currently own an earlier model of iPad, click HERE for a chart showing model compatibility. Please make sure to update the operating system on the device to iOS 12.3.1 or greater. iPad model number information can be found HERE.
Beta versions of iOS are not supported – they are not compatible with the SBHS systems and can lead to data loss.
Each of these devices are also available from many online retailers. Amazon.com and Macmall.com are reliable retailers that sells mostly new devices. eBay.com is also a good source for these devices. When researching where you would like to purchase your device(s), please be careful to review if the device is new, used, or refurbished. Also make sure to compare model numbers, since there are many models of iPads that have been manufactured since 2010.
To protect your iPad investment, it is recommended that iPad insurance be purchased. Click HERE to purchase insurance through Worth Ave. Group and receive 10% off the retail rates (use promo code stbonaventureca - click HERE for policy details). Note you have 30 days after date of purchase to purchase insurance. Depending on the device that you purchase and the length of the term, prices range from $12.50 per month to $150 for a one-time payment. Most insurance offers coverage from theft, accidental drops, liquid submersion, etc. Apple also offers coverage – AppleCare+ for iPad – which includes up to two accidental damage claims for $99.
It is important to install the device in the case immediately after purchase to protect the device from accidental damage. SMT, Logitech and Otterbox make very protective cases and are the recommended brands. MAKE SURE TO KEEP YOUR IPAD IN THE CASE!
After purchase, please follow these instructions to set up your school e-mail address and connect your iPad to the SBHS network. Please follow each step closely, and complete all of the steps.
1) Set up your SBHS e-mail address (uses Google Apps for Education/G-Suite)
- Knowing your student number, go to Google.com and click/tap Sign In, located in the upper right corner. If you don’t know your student number, ask your teacher to look it up in Teacherease.
- Enter your [student number]@sbhsvta.org for your e-mail, (example firstname.lastname@example.org) and sbhs2016 for the password.
- Change your password as requested by the system – MAKE SURE TO WRITE THIS DOWN.
- Review the information about your new Google account, which gives you access to your school e-mail address, unlimited storage on Google Drive, Google Docs, and other services.
2) Set up a new Apple ID using your school e-mail address. Note your iPad must have an Apple ID associated with it. You may use an existing Apple ID, or create a new one using this information.
- Go to https://appleid.apple.com and click Create Your Apple ID - look in the upper right corner.
- Use your school e-mail address to set up your new Apple ID. MAKE SURE TO WRITE DOWN YOUR APPLE ID AND PASSWORD.
- Confirm the information and check for the verify code by logging into Google and click on Mail in the upper right-hand corner.
- Review your Apple ID account information as needed.
- On your iPad, go to Settings, then iTunes & App Store, and tap Sign In.
- Follow the prompts on your iPad. If you did not complete the account information on step 4, the system will ask for basic information. You may skip the payment information, but must enter an address and phone number.
- Go back to Settings, then tap iCloud. Enter your Apple ID and password. Agree to the end user license agreement. This will allow for sharing of information from other iCloud users, etc.
- On the iPad desktop, tap on App Store and make a purchase of any free app to test the Apple ID and password. Note that during the first purchase, you will be asked to complete your contact information - home address, phone number, etc.
3) Enroll your iPad into the SBHS iPad network
- On your iPad, open the Safari web browser and go to https://sbhsvta.jamfcloud.com/enroll - make sure to use the https://portion of the web site address.
- Enter your Student Number for the username and sbhs2016 for a password.
- Tap on Institutionally Owned – read the information regarding enrollment.
- Tap Enroll – continue with the CA certificate installation prompts. A popup indicating “The website is trying to download a configuration profile. Do you want to allow this?” will display – tap Allow. A popup will indicate “Profile Downloaded. Review the profile in the Settings app if you want to install it.” Tap Close. Press the home button or swipe up to return to the home screen. Tap the Settings app, then tap the General tab. Scroll down and tap on Profile. Tap on the CA Certificate and tap Install. Enter your passcode for your iPad. Tap Install and Install again. Tap Done.
- Return to the Safari browser by clicking the Home button or swiping up and tapping Safari. Install the MDM profile by tapping Continue. A popup indicating “The website is trying to download a configuration profile. Do you want to allow this?” will pop up – tap Allow. A popup will indicate “Profile Downloaded. Review the profile in the Settings app if you want to install it.” Tap Close. Press the home button or swipe up to return to the home screen. Tap the Settings app – your iPad should still be on the Profiles page – if not, tap the General tab and scroll down and tap on Profile. Tap MDM Profile, then Install enter your passcode, tap install again, and once more tap Install and then Trust. Finally, tap Done.
- Return to the Safari browser and you should see “The enrollment process is complete.”
- Tap the home button or swipe up to return to the home screen.
- After a few minutes, the SBHS-specific apps should begin to install on your device. Please make sure to tap “install” or "manage" to each installation request. Once all the apps have been installed, tap Self Service for additional apps the SBHS faculty have requested. These apps in the Self Service app are like our own app store for SBHS.
- Above is a sample screen shot of what the home screen should look like.
- The apps that should be on your desktop are: Gmail, Calculator Pro, Chrome, Drive, Notability, Realize Reader, Schoology, Self Service, Shelfit Reader, Google Classroom and Pearson eText for Schools.
If you have already enrolled your iPad and the apps do not load automatically after approximately 20 minutes, please follow these steps to delete the profiles and try again.
- Go to Settings, then tap General, and scroll all the way down to the bottom of the list.
- Tap on Profiles & Device Management
- Tap on MDM Profile and tap Remove Management.
- Enter your device passcode (if set up previously).
- Confirm removal by tapping Remove.
- Tap on CA Certificate and tap Delete Profile.
- Enter your device passcode (if set up previously).
- Confirm removal by tapping Delete.
- Repeat steps 1 through 8 is section above “Enroll your iPad into the SBHS iPad network”
4) Set up Notability Backup
Notability is the note-taking app that will be used in almost every class. It is a great app to view pages from your teacher and mark up the notes. It is very important to turn on the iCloud backup settings to make sure your notes are saved on your iPad and in your iCloud account, in case your iPad
gets lost or damaged. Please follow these steps to turn on the backup.
- Make sure you have logged into iCloud with your Apple ID. This is done by tapping on Settings. Look at the top of the Setting screen and confirm you are logged in (usually indicated by not seeing any exclamation points).
- Returning to the home screen, look for the Notability app and tap it to open – it looks like a pencil with a microphone on top.
- Once you have opened Notability and closed the tour screens, look for the gear icon in the lower left corner and tap that icon. The Settings screen will open.
- Tap on iCloud, then tap the slider to the right to turn on this feature. You should get a confirmation that this is complete.
- Then, tap the Manage Accounts tab, and log into Google Drive. This will ask for your school e-mail address and password – same information you used above. Accept the access request – the Settings page will reappear. Tap Close.
- A YouTube video is available here: https://youtu.be/Zr6W_1-8n2k
Contact David DeVillers (Tech Coordinator at SBHS) at email@example.com if you need assistance.
ADDITIONAL IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS
ELECTRONIC TEXTBOOK SUPPORT VIA EDTECH
EdTech Support: (855)338-3245
EdTech support email: firstname.lastname@example.org
EdTech Help Flyer - click here