ACADEMICS: iPad 1:1 Program
For the SBHS iPad 1:1 program, the administration and faculty have determined the following baseline "minimum hardware requirements" for the iPad program.
Please purchase (new, used or refurbished) an iPad for each of your students. The recommended base model is the iPad Air 2 "Wi-Fi only" with 64GB of storage.
If you currently own an earlier model of iPad, click HERE for a chart showing model compatibility. Please make sure to update the operating system on the device to iOS 9.3.5 or greater. iPad model number information can be found HERE.
Each of these devices are also available from many online retailers. Amazon.com and Macmall.com are reliable retailers that sells mostly new devices. eBay.com is also a good source for these devices. When researching where you would like to purchase your device(s), please be careful to review if the device is new, used, or refurbished. Also make sure to compare model numbers, since there are many models of iPads that have been manufactured since 2010.
To protect your iPad investment, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that iPad insurance be purchased. Click HERE to purchase insurance through Worth Ave. Group and receive 10% off the retail rates (use promo code stbonaventureca - click HERE for policy details). Note you have 30 days after date of purchase to purchase insurance. Depending on the device that you purchase and the length of the term, prices range from $12.50 per month to $150 for a one-time payment. Most insurance offers coverage from theft, accidental drops, liquid submersion, etc. Apple also offers coverage – AppleCare+ for iPad – which includes up to two accidental damage claims for $99.
Finally, after the purchase of an insurance policy, it is recommended that a case be purchased at the same time as the device. It is important to install the device in the case immediately after purchase to protect the device from accidental damage. SMT, Logitech and Otterbox make very protective cases and are the recommended brands, however there are possibly hundreds of different brands to choose from online.
After purchase, please follow these instructions to set up your school e-mail address and connect your iPad to the SBHS network:
Set up your SBHS e-mail address
- Using your student number from Teacherease.com, go to Google.com and click Sign In - look in the upper right corner.
- Enter your student number and @sbhsvta.org for your e-mail, e.g. email@example.com and sbhs2016 for the password.
- Change your password as requested by the system – MAKE SURE TO WRITE THIS DOWN.
- Review the information about your new Google account, which gives you a school e-mail address, unlimited storage on Google Drive, and Google Docs, among other things.
Set up your Apple ID using your school e-mail address (it is required that your iPad have an Apple ID associated with it, but you may use a previous Apple ID)
- Go to https://appleid.apple.com and click Create Your Apple ID - look in the upper right corner.
- Use your school e-mail address to set up your new Apple ID. MAKE SURE TO WRITE DOWN YOUR APPLE ID AND PASSWORD.
- Confirm the information and check for the verify code by logging into Google and click on Mail in the upper right-hand corner.
- Review your Apple ID account information as needed.
- On your iPad, go to Settings, then iTunes & App Store, and tap Sign In.
- Follow the prompts on your iPad. If you did not complete the account information on step 4, the system will ask for basic information. You may skip the payment information, but must enter an address and phone number.
- Go back to Settings, then tap iCloud. Enter your Apple ID and password. Agree to the end user license agreement. This will allow for sharing of information from other iCloud users, etc.
Instructions for iPad enrollment
The information and data controlled by this management system is only the data and information installed by the system, not the personal information on the device.
Please make sure to use Google Drive as the primary storage for all student work.
- On your iPad, open the Safari web browser and go to https://sbhsvta.jamfcloud.com/enroll - make sure to use the https:// portion of the web site address.
- Enter your Student Number for the username and sbhs2016 for a password.
- Tap on Institutionally Owned (not Personally Owned as previously instructed) – read the information regarding enrollment.
- Tap Enroll – continue with the certificate installation prompts. Tap Install for the CA Certificate and enter your pass code for your iPad. Tap Install again and once more. Tap Done. Then continue with the MDM profile by tapping Continue. Tap Install, enter your pass code again, tap Install again, and once more tap Install and then Trust. Finally, tap Done. You should see “The enrollment process is complete.”
- After a few minutes, a few SBHS-specific apps should begin to install on your device. This will include Self Service, Notability, text book readers, and a few other apps. Please tap “install” to each installation request. Once all the apps have been installed, look under Self Service for additional apps the SBHS faculty have requested. These apps in the Self Service app are like our own “app store” for SBHS.
If you have ANY questions about which device to purchase, please contact David DeVillers, the technology coordinator at SBHS. He can be reached via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (805)648-6836 ext.108.